Ever since we began to make plans to travel, Mike and I have talked about starting a blog to keep our family and friends up to date with what is going on in our lives as we begin this new adventure. I wanted to start writing before we had any plans confirmed, but then I thought - Well, who really cares about all of this? Nothing interesting is happening yet. It was a recent discussion with my friend Beth, an avid blog reader always ready to give advice or a recommendation from a favorite blog, which helped to encourage me to start writing. I asked her what makes a blog worth reading and what captures the readers’ attention? I’m by no means an amazing writer, and I’m afraid that what I write about won’t be funny enough or informative enough or even the least bit interesting.
“But your life already is interesting…you’ve got all of these things you’re trying to figure out and you are going to be picking up and leaving and traveling around the country in two weeks!” Beth always has a way of making me feel like, a) I’m the most hilarious person she’s ever met, b) what I say really matters, and c) that my life is way more interesting then I find it to be. She’s one of the most encouraging and insightful people that I know. I guess those are all things that make her such an amazing friend!
So after this reassurance from Beth to just write about us and people will simply want to know what we are up to, I realized that she’s right! This stuff is pretty interesting and Mike and I are both so excited to share with our friends more than just the basics of when, where, how long, and why? We hope that this blog can be a way for us to document our journey as we create new memories in different places, and that it can help to keep all of you posted on what is going on in the life of the Gallos!
So to answer those basics:
When: We will likely be leaving Pittsburgh on September 20th and I will start my job on October 18th.
Where: We will spend the weekend of the 17th in Pittsburgh visiting with Mike’s parents and his family that live here in the burgh’. After this, we are planning to take a little road trip across the country to see my parents and our friends in Lancaster, head out to St. Louis to see Mike’s brother Steven and our sister-in-law April, then on to Colorado to see my sister Keri, our brother-in-law Angus, and to meet our soon to be born little nephew!! We are so excited for this time to see family and friends before moving on to SAN ANTONIO !!!
How long: My contract will be 5 months, so we will be done March 19th. Then it’s on to our next mystery city!
Why: Because the world is our canvas!!
Great idea guys! Can't wait to read all about your adventures. We love you!! And Kateis, you are a great writer!!!
ReplyDeleteThis is fantastic!! How exciting! I will be praying for you guys!!
ReplyDeleteWe're so excited for you guys! We know this will be a great experience. Thanks for letting us share it by reading your blog. We'll miss you!
ReplyDeleteThat's so great! Tom thought it was Arizona for some reason. I'm very happy for you guys! Enjoy the journey!
ReplyDeleteIt's sad that you guys are leaving but I'm glad that I'll be able to follow you on your travels! Great start to your first blog. :) - JV
ReplyDeleteKaty - you make me want to start a blog too! This is such a great idea and I get to keep tabs on you too! ;-)
ReplyDeleteI love this.. my family has always wanted me to start one. I may have to ask for your help sometime while we're here to put one together.
ReplyDeleteAnd I'm a quote person... so you'll be getting a lot from me I'm sure. But know this, the answer of whether you should keep traveling a lot will come to you. Be proud of what you are doing and trust me.. you never stope 'missing' home! You realize more things when you leave (at least I have;).
"sometimes you have to get lost to find the rainbow's end".
"Life's challenges are not supposed to paralyze you, they're supposed to help you discover who you are".
Very glad to have met both of you;)
Aww thanks Lauren! I love your quotes by the way! So far this experience has been awesome and I wouldn't change anything. I'm so glad I met you too!
ReplyDelete