Monday, October 3, 2011

What is Tagwhat?

When we left Pittsburgh, the main thing I planned to do was go to school. I have been taking classes for just over a year now, and am a short way away from my Master’s degree in teaching. I planned to work as a substitute teacher in each city we travelled to along our journey.

I quickly discovered that getting a substitute job takes a very long time. I applied to do so more than a month before we left for San Antonio, and it was more than three months later before I was actually working. In the interim, I waited tables…not my idea of fun.

Then along came the new Tagwhat.

A few years ago Angus (my brother-in-law) started working on a project, which evolved into Tagwhat. Tagwhat is an app for smart phones, available for free through the android market and the iPhone app store. Tagwhat started as a location based social media tool. What it developed into is a location-based multimedia storytelling platform.

When I found out that they were hiring journalists to create content for the app, I submitted a few samples. Since March, I have been working as a freelance writer, documenting some of the greatest sports stories, at the places where they happen. It has been a great opportunity to combine my loves of sports, comics, food and random trivia into one awesome job. It has been even more gratifying to travel and to see my work across the country. When I share postcards on facebook or like stories from Tagwhat, this is what it’s all about.

Click on the photos to see some of the stories I have created, and then grab your phone and download Tagwhat!



1 comment:

  1. Great job, Mike! Way to go. I still totally don't understand what you do, but good job doing whatever it is! :) I'm just not up to speed with all of today's technology. (This makes me sounds like I am about 80 years old) haha.

    ReplyDelete