Monday, November 15, 2010

Missing the 'Burgh

       The last few days of work for both of us have been a little rough, and I know for myself I occasionally wonder why in the world I am doing this. Today we had a mini discussion about future plans even though we are only a month into this. This past month has flown by and I know the next 4 will go even faster with the holidays coming and everyone being busy. Anyway, we have to start to think about things sooner or later, and although our plan is to travel for at least a year, who knows what will change or how! We started to talk about where we might like to go after March 19th, or if we decide that traveling isn't for us, then what happens next? There are many times that we find ourselves missing Pittsburgh and our friends and family, and I always find myself comparing little things here with the familiar things back in the burgh.
       After reading a comment from my friend Bethany and sharing with her the things we miss most about Pittsburgh, I started to tear up a bit as I recalled part of that long list. It is always nice to bring these things back into memory when times here get a little more challenging and we start to miss our friends and family back home. So for the heck of it, and as sort of a catharsis for Mike and I, we decided to reminisce, build this list together, and share it with all of you!!
    
 What we miss most about Pittsburgh:

Skyline at the Pirates game this summer before we left

Spending time with our friends. The Steeler's. Steeler's parties. Our 40 inch HDTV (especially for the Steeler's parties). Having friends on holidays like Halloween. Mike's old comic book store, Phantom of the Attic, and discounted comic books. Bellefield.  Riverview park. The strip. Our favorite restaurant, Girasole. Having sharp knives. Seeing Harry Potter every year on opening night with the Lubinskis. Gas cooking. The skyline. Fall leaves. The LIVING ministry. Being part of ALIVE (the ministries biggest yearly event). The Children's Home (this job gives me a new appreciation for my old job). Pumpkin patches. One lane streets. Giant Eagle. Qdoba. A backyard. Video games. My collection of  books. Dinners at Aunt Jane's. All of the new babies. Having a hair salon. Small groups. Quinn and Rose on the radio. Light up Night with friends. The old Honda Civic. The farmers markets. Mike preaching Wednesday mornings at Light of Life. Pot holes (oh wait, just kidding). Clover's favorite kennel. My painting class. Charles' awesome surprise parties. $5/free popcorn Monday's at South Side Works theater. Working with friends. Going to lunch with friends. Taking walks with friends. Having face to face conversations with friends. Pretty much all of our awesome Pittsburgh friends :)
Mike's 28th birthday surprise and his friends who made his cake :)

        Now clearly, we could continue that list forever, but those are some of the highlights. And, there could also be a list of what we DON'T miss about Pittsburgh, but those would be mundane things like rush hour bridge traffic, trash on the sidewalks, and owning a home that won't sell...but those things just depress everyone, and what we need now is to smile as we remember all of the good things about the place we love and miss...Pittsburgh!

Light up Night 2006 - Charity, Jess, me and Beth
ALIVE 2008 - Liz, me and Kelly!

8 comments:

  1. We will miss you guys too on Friday night when we see Harry Potter! Can you believe there will be only ONE MORE premiere night after this? Maybe you will be home or close by for that one!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aloha Katy,

    I miss you guys too... maybe you and Mike could consider Hawai'i, as one of your couple-month-long stops? It's obviously beautiful, and Grace and I are already part of a really great community of Christians that you guys could hop right into... whatever you decide, all the best!

    Mahalo

    Peace and grace,
    Zach (and Grace)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth and I can totally relate to this post, and four times over at that! Each time we moved, it was tough realizing that almost nowhere has the good old character and charm.. and especially the people, that Pittsburgh has. We can't wait to go back home for Christmas. Thankfully, we have met a fantastic community of friends here in Texas. But one thing's for sure, Cowboy fans pale in comparison to Steeler fans!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Charlie! That is good to hear that we aren't crazy. Do you guys plan to stay in Texas now for a while or will you move again sometime soon? I definitely think if we were moving somewhere to stay and had times to find that community and friends it would be a much different story. It's awesome to hear that you guys also went through that 4 times! And with kids! You guys are awesome. Thanks for the encouragement! And you're right about the Cowboy fans...yuck!


    Zach and Grace - that would be amazing to make a 3 month stop near you guys. What island are you on? We are actually doing some research to see if it would be possible to go to Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katy - We're on Oahu, and we live in Honolulu (Makiki, to be more specific)... it'd be awesome to have you guys around for a 3 mth stop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just catching up on all your posts and this one definitely hit home for me! Gosh...Pittsburgh is such a great city! I saw a guy riding his bike past my slum yesterday and he was wearing a Steelers hat and I got so happy. Then last night I watched a UIF video of the choir performing and got so sad. Pittsburgh will always have a piece of my heart!

    Oh and if you want to plan any trips to India just let me know...I'd be happy to show you around! :) And let me tell you there is quite a shortage of nurses here...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Depending on how long you are there Meghan, we might just take you up on that offer sometime! Friends of ours live in Nepal and we've been dying to one day visit them, and I think the first stop would have to be India :) It may take a year or more to save up enough money for that trip, but it would be awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete