Saturday, November 6, 2010

Our New Life

Mike and I at the Lebanese festival last night!

Our nephew Calvin!
            Where to begin. A lot has changed since the last time I posted…We drove through 7 states,  temporarily “lived” in 6 different locations, were blessed with our first nephew, enjoyed summer weather in Texas then fall in PA then summer in Texas then fall in VA then summer in Texas then fall in Texas all in 2 weeks, had a huge scare within my family, discovered the riverwalk, started new jobs, left all of our old friends, made a couple new friends, left a church we love and found a new church we love, saw the Alamo, bought our first book/comic book in 2 months, watched Dabke dancers and ate authentic Lebanese food, wiped out our finances, celebrated our first paycheck in over a month, got hooked on Twilight, learned to live life without cable and DVR, rediscovered how crazy being a nurse can be and how frustrating being a waiter can be, felt completely displaced, and finally, after all of this, began to feel a little more at home.

            So to sum it up, we’ve been through a lot. To go into detail about these things and more would leave you all putting saline drops in your dry tired eyes and wishing you hadn’t kept asking me to update our blog :) It has been an eventful couple months, with ups and downs (more than we had anticipated and a couple that we could definitely have done without), but it is all part of the experience and the adventure, and in the end these things have already made us stronger. My new friend and fellow traveler Lauren already has one previous assignment under her belt, and her advice is always helpful when I start flipping out. There are days that she reminds me, “this isn’t forever”, when one of us is having a crazy night at work. She also said that although it might not feel like it now, there will be a day when these 5 months are over and regardless of what happens next, you look back on the experience and you realize how you have grown as a nurse and a person. She said that though she did not see this at the time, she realizes now that she’s become more confident with all that she has done and learned, and overall has become a stronger person.

Enjoying the pool while we can
Me and Lauren, my fellow traveler!

It is good to know that someone else felt the way that I am feeling now. I know that in a few short months I will probably look back on this and be so grateful for all of the good and the bad, not only with my job but with life. Though I am frustrated beyond end regarding the difficult bumps in our road, I also feel blessed (when I really take the time to analyze things) by all that we have been through and how we have had to rely on God during the good times and the crappy times. I also saw how family comes together in those crappy times, and in the long run, no matter where we are, how much money we have, what exciting adventures we undertake, the most important thing is that family loves each other and supports each other in every way possible. I know that we couldn’t have made it home to be with my parents if it weren’t for Keri and Angus, and I know (although I am a pain in the butt nurse-daughter) that my parents were grateful for our support while we were there and for my sister’s support and guidance from far away. I know this sounds cheesy, but it all kind of ended up as a big “circle of love” and it brought us all that much closer.

Me and Mike going to an auction...just kidding:)
Now that I said this would be short and it ended up being a rambling novel, I will close this blog entry by thanking you all for your thoughts and prayers, and by inviting you all to come visit, any day or any time – as long as you let us know ahead of time so we can buy an air mattress. If you can’t visit, care packages are always welcome or at least a card or letter or even just a picture! I guess I didn’t mention how our mailbox is always empty, and that we currently have only 3 pictures and 1 card to remind us of home and those we love :)  We miss you all more than you can imagine, but we wanted to let you know we are doing well, we’re enjoying Texas, and we will try to be better about keeping you posted as we learn more about this new city!

Our address for those who are interested:
5600 Babcock Rd.
Unit # 8307
San Antonio, TX 78240

5 comments:

  1. Hello friend! Well, I, for one, will always be here to read your novels, ha! Love hearing about your new adventures and knowing what is on your hearts! We miss you in the burgh! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katy & Mike - looks like you're enjoying life in San Antonio so far! We visited friends down there last spring and had a nice time. If you haven't heard of it already, check out Gruene, which is just north from you near New Braunfels. The Gristmill restaurant and the Gruene Hall are absolute musts! You can float down the river in innertubes too. http://www.gruenetexas.com

    We'd love to host you guys if you ever want to take a weekend trip up here to Dallas... we have plenty of room and our boys love making new friends. Beth's blog is here: http://365fox.blogspot.com

    Enjoy the nice Texas fall weather!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We miss you too Ash!! More than you can imagine :( Thanks for reading my novel, I also love to read your updates...it makes me sad to think I'm not there to learn all of these things and see Steve grow up in front of me!

    Charlie - thanks so much!! We would absolutely love to come visit you guys! We will have to look at our schedule after the holidays and find a weekend that works for everyone. I actually got Beth's blog from Ashley's blog and have been reading it already! :) It is so awesome to hear all about your amazing family and we can't wait to get to know the boys! We will definitely keep in touch. And I know things are crazy for you but if you ever feel the urge to take a trip to San Antonio you are welcome, though we have only one extra empty unfurnished bedroom and guest bath :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear that you had some difficulty - but remember God will never put more on you than you can bear even though it seems like it ;-) It all comes to make you stronger - and the only way you can get stronger is to lift the weights! I just want you to know I enjoy reading this! Keep posting and Curtis and I are keeping you and Mike in prayer!
    P.S. What are some of your favorite Pittsburgh things??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm...favorite Pittsburgh things? (I was only teasing about care packages if that is why you're inquiring!) But to answer your question, Mike would obviously say the Steeler's and his old comic book store Phantom of the Attic. What else...All of our friends mostly, our church, Riverview park, the strip, our favorite restaurant there called Girasole, the skyline, fall leaves, I know Mike misses the LIVING ministry, and actually I miss the Children's Home (this job gives me a new appreciation for my old job), one lane streets, Giant Eagle (weird, I know)...hmmm...maybe I'll write a blog about all of these things I miss! Now I'm tearing up :) Miss you Bethany!!

    ReplyDelete