San Antonio is filled with so many different cultures! Obviously, one of the main languages here is Spanish, and I have already had several Spanish speaking families and patients that I have cared for at my new job. Since I haven’t really brushed up on my Spanish since my one mission trip years ago to Mexico, and prior to that my Spanish classes in high school, I think it’s about time I learn a little more than hola, me llamo Katy. Quieres agua? Que es la hora? Yo tengo mucho hambre! Chicle en la basura. And, Puedo ir al bano? I mean, when am I going to ask my patient’s Spanish speaking mother if I can go to the bathroom? And why would I be telling someone to throw their gum in the trash can? The only reason I remember that is from my 8th grade Spanish teacher repeatedly yelling this at kids like Steven McDowell.
So to start off on the right foot, I frantically researched events going on this weekend since I have 5 nights off, and after a couple hours of Googling Mike and I were off to embrace the diverse cultural heritage in our new city! Here’s a few pictures of each event to help you share our experiences with us.
Friday night: Lebanese Festival
 |
| Me drinking some Lebanese coffee out of my dainty little cup |
 |
| Yum! Baclowa! |
 |
| Watching Lebanese folk dancing called Dabke |
 |
| Capturing a little "Texan Lebanese" culture :) |
|
|
Saturday afternoon: Primaro Sabado en El Marcado
 |
| Mexican dance performers at El Mercado. Lovin' the Mariachi! |
 |
| Inside the market - tons of fun stuff! |
 |
| The shirt says it all :) |
 |
| Mike's dream of becoming Nacho Libre is almost complete |
 |
| We saw a bunch of Quinceineras on Saturday! So cute! |
|
|
Saturday evening/night: Diwali Festival of Lights
 |
| When we got to the event, people were still preparing for the upcoming performances. Here, an Indaian woman is drawing a mandala in front of the "stage". |
 |
| For the performances they had groups representing each state in India and showed how they dress and their dance styles. This woman was one of our favorites. She is representing Orissa. |
 |
| Another group representing Maharashtra. They were amazing! |
|
|
|
|
 |
| Floating my diya into the fountain. |
 |
| A picture of the floating diyas. I'm not sure if this is 100% accurate, but what they taught us is that Diwali (The Festival of Lights) is a holiday where they celebrate the triumph of good over evil, and lighting the diya's is a way to honor knowledge over ignorance, or to bring light where there is darkness. They say this is to bring hope and prosperity to all mankind. |
 |
| Here you can see all of the lit diyas around the edge of the fountain. |
|
|
 |
| Mike floating his diya |
|
|
Sunday: Mission Trail
 |
| Mission Concepcion - built in 1740 and apparently the oldest stone church in the US. There are 5 missions total along the trail. The Alamo is one of them, and we decided to bike to two of the other 4 on Sunday. |
 |
| Inside the sanctuary at Mission Concepcion. They still hold masses in this church. |
 |
| Mission San Jose. My favorite so far! It was huge and had some awesome architecture. For anyone who read Pillars of the Earth, you felt like you were there with Tom the builder :) |
 |
| Cool little view through a few doorway arches at San Jose. |
 |
| Watch out for the cactus roof! |
 |
| Mike being nice and carrying my camelbak :) |
|
 |
| The main doors leading into the sanctuary. |
 |
| Getting ready to ride back to the beginning of the trail! |
|
Um, totallly remember chicle en la basura!! hahaha. Ah, Penn Manor. Looks like you guys hit up some amazing places and had a great time! wish we could come and visit soon! love you guys!
ReplyDeleteLooks awesome guys! Glad you got to take advantage of the sights and activities. Love you!
ReplyDeleteSo much fun! I hope you bought that t-shirt... :)
ReplyDeleteNo, maybe if they'd had an XL.
ReplyDeleteI love the blog in general and all of the picture in this update.
ReplyDeleteAs a teacher in an elementary school with over 50% spanish-speaking student population, especially the first few weeks of school every year, I always frequent the phrases, "Sientete" and "ven aqui"... which are generally followed by "ahora!!" This usually makes students excitedly say, "oh, Mrs. Anderson speaks Spanish!" to which I reply "un poquito-ito-ito-ito".
~Becca
haha! Becca that's awesome! That is a cute story! I am always afraid they will think I know Spanish if I say a few phrases :)
ReplyDeleteLove the pictures - especially the one with Mike and the t-shirt!
ReplyDeleteOh, Tom the Builder...hehe
ReplyDeleteYay! I'm glad you guys got to experience some Diwali action! It was so crazy here during that time. Man, the Indians love a party. Have you found any good Indian restaurants yet?
ReplyDeleteHey Meghan! I'm sure Diwalli in India was an awesome experience for you!! That is amazing! We havent found any good Indian Restaurants yet, but then again haven't looked too hard. There is just so much of every kind of restaurant here that it is hard to keep up. And believe it or not, we haven't been "out" to many new restaurants since we've been here..kind of a first for us, but we've talked about trying a few new places before we leave here!
ReplyDelete