Saturday, May 7, 2011

On the Road Again

        It was difficult to leave my family today, and I miss them so much already. But we said our heartfelt goodbyes at the house, drove to the hospital, and spent some time with dad before the inevitable moment where I had to force myself to stand up, grab my purse, and make myself say goodbye to him. With a hug and a kiss, dad said, “We couldn’t have done this without you guys”. Of course they could have; my parents have proven to me their incredible strength and determination over and over again. But they don’t have to do it without us, no matter how far away we are. We will always be here for them, to love them, support them, and fight along side of them. I couldn’t hold back the tears as he said this to me, and I looked at his cute little bald head, feeding tube and all, and my heart just melted. He’s so freakin’ cute.
       
      It’s amazing how much has happened in the last couple months, from packing up and leaving one city, driving home and being there through this whole ordeal, and loading the car once again to start yet another journey. Well, we made it...New Haven here we are! Home sweet home...I guess. I feel like each little period of my life in these last 2 months have been lived by different versions of me. Am I ready to switch back into the travel nurse Katy version? As we were driving to CT today, all of those old feelings of nervousness, excitement, anticipation, fear, and a little bit of adventure began to resurface as I allowed myself to start to process this new step I was taking. Although what I know of New Haven so far is limited to approximately two streets and our new apartment, which include some exciting things like four Dunkin’ Donuts in a 2 mile radius, Target, Olive Garden, a suspect neighbor who enjoys rocking out to 90’s slow rock jams, and a beautiful sunset to end our first evening here, our little apartment is already starting to feel a little bit like home. Our bags are unpacked, our few family photos are up, my Dove chocolates sit comfortingly on the coffee table in front of me, and although my heart is still in Lancaster, I am a tiny bit proud of myself for making it out of that hospital door and ending up at our next destination. It’s time to attempt to embrace this new journey!

A beautiful sunset for our last night in Lancaster.
Goodbye Lancaster county!


Passing through NYC

Here we come!

Seeing a little bit of the Long Island sound :)
Home sweet home 

Our first Connecticut sunset
Now that's what I call a home coming :)

No comments:

Post a Comment