Well, it’s official. I have a job! I’ll be working at Yale, New Haven Hospital in New Haven, CT on a pediatric hematology/oncology unit that is also mixed with some respiratory care patients that are trached and on ventilators. I had my phone interview last week, wowed them with my charm ;) and got the job offer, but hadn’t officially signed my contract until last night. It was kind of a Griswold’s moment last night when Mike and I were reading over my contract before I signed it. I felt like asking for a drum roll, and could just imagine Russ and grandpa and Uncle Eddie with his cup of egg nog standing next to us cheering me on. I don’t know why I’ve been nervous to sign my contract...It’s been sitting there for the last several days waiting for an official signature. I guess I just expected to be a little bit closer to Lancaster and was holding on to hope that I still might find that job close to home, but I guess 4 1/2 hours away doesn’t sound so bad compared to 30 some to Dallas where I had gotten another job offer the same week. I think that on top of hoping to be closer, I just never imagined going to Connecticut during my traveling adventure. I have realized in the last 6 months that I need to stop trying to plan things out. Every time I make plans, they turn out to be completely opposite of what was in my head. But at the same time, even though things haven’t turned out as I thought so far, I have been blessed beyond my expectations.
I am getting pretty excited as I research the New Haven area. It looks beautiful, and is only a couple hours away from other major cities like Boston and NYC. It is close to a big body of water, so I’m sure there are some little beaches nearby. Summer will probably be a great time up there for outdoor activities, sunshine, beautiful sunsets on the water, and hike’s in the nearby parks. I think that I need a little bit of calm and nature in my crazy life right now, and that is what I am most excited about. Other than that, all I really know about Connecticut is that Rory Gilmore lives there and went to Yale University (And yes, I think of her as a real person. So please don’t burst my bubble and tell me otherwise).
My new job starts on May 9th and is a 13 week assignment so we are there until early August. This start date also gives us the time that we need to be home to help my parents, to visit Mike’s family, and to do more research on where we might live in New Haven as well as what is nearby. I am getting pretty excited to take this next step of our journey, and if anyone knows the New Haven area, I would love to hear the inside scoop!! Otherwise I might end up spending too much time searching for the nonexistent Stars Hollow so I can say hi to Lorelai and Miss Patty and maybe even have a cup of coffee at Luke’s. Then maybe I could become a Gilmore girl!!! You could just call me Squeegy Beckinheim. I think that would pretty much complete my life.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Je5shcp0R0
* So that you know I'm not completely insane and didn't make up this name, please refer to above link to watch a clip of my favorite show :)
* So that you know I'm not completely insane and didn't make up this name, please refer to above link to watch a clip of my favorite show :)
I looove the Gilmore Girls! Go Squeegy!
ReplyDeleteKaty, so happy for you for this job!!! That area is beautiful, I think you'll like it, especially for the summer. :-) You should talk to Beth Fox, she and Charlie lived there (or near there) two years ago and they may be able to help you in searching for short term living!!! Love you friend!
ReplyDelete