Monday, April 4, 2011

This Little Piggy

Funk's the way that I remember it :)




What Funk's looks like now. :(
The four “kids”, well I guess five now with Calvin, went for a little walk through Millersville yesterday. Being back in Lancaster has been bringing back a lot of memories from childhood and on up through high school. Mom and dad live across from what was once known as Funk’s, a cute country family owned farm market. Funk’s was the place to go for spring flowers, summer produce, fall pumpkins and halloween festivities, and Christmas tree and decoration shopping. On our weekly trips to Funk’s, mom and dad would treat us to a yummy ice cream cone or cookies from the bakery, and who could forget the amazing, mouth watering, homemade cheese bread! mmmm.... So many great memories at Funk’s. I still fondly recall (please note the sarcasm in my voice) standing by the counter waiting for my cookie, wearing my baggy Millersville swim team sweatshirt, sweatpants, and baseball hat, with my little curls coming out underneath it. The old man behind the counter 
said, “would you like to try a sample of our soup sonny?” I know my sister will never forget this moment either...I still hear about it from her almost every other time I see her and she still makes fun of the little tomboy that I was. Whatever. :P


In the last several months, Funk’s was sold by the owner to become a retirement community or something like that, and walking past it was a bit depressing. But regardless of what it becomes, I will always remember it as the place we went to jump in hay bails, go through the haunted barn, make scarecrows, pick fresh strawberries from the fields, cut down Christmas trees, buy sticky buns, and get pictures next to the giant talking pumpkin :) I will miss you Funk’s!



Me, Keri, and our friend Laura by the big talking pumpkin :)

Cute little animal heads. I love that I picked the pig...I look thrilled.
                              


  



No comments:

Post a Comment